Thursday, October 25, 2012

On Motherhood

I've had some thoughts ruminating in my mind recently.  I'm not sure how to structure them to reveal the profound feelings they bring to my heart.

Abigail will be 4 months old on Monday.  I never knew I could love with such depth and purity as I love Abby. Sometimes I wonder what I ever did without my little side-kick attached to my hip, smiling away.  Her eyes fill with wonder as she watches me complete seemingly mundane tasks, like checking the mailbox or brushing my teeth. Excitement catches her breath and wriggles her tiny legs in anticipation of an embrace from momma and a smile from dada.  We learn and love together, we play and cry together. Abigail truly is a source of joy for us, as her name suggests.

"Is she happy? safe? growing? learning? feeling our love for her? How will I teach her about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ? How will I show her she is beautiful and of Divine Heritage? Is confidence something I can teach, or must she learn it on her own?" The questions are endless, the responsibility at times is heavy. Heavenly Father has commissioned Bryan and me to be stewards over this beautiful little soul. I cannot fathom the grief that must grip His heart when His children do not find love among those who should love them most.

After a long day of "ABCs" and "123s," singing Popcorn popping and Wheels on the Bus, walking outside then inside, sitting up, and tummy time I wonder if Abigail learned anything. At night I sing her to sleep, primary songs as my lullabies, and wonder if she knows I love her, and she can trust me. Drifting off to sleep my thoughts wander amidst the rocking rhymes of Madeline and Dr. Seuss, and I marvel at the love and patience my mother showed me every moment of my childhood. I did learn. I do know she loves me. I trust her.

Every small action we perform, our daily decisions, these are what ultimately constitute our lives and character.



A Mother's Day Tribute by Calee Reed


No comments:

Post a Comment